So I just thought I’d pop this recipe up. It was a bit of a cook what I have in the fridge recipe but it worked really well.
It’s a really simple Carrot and Chicken Soup with brown rice and quinoa topped off with some roasted broccoli.
I’d cooked 10 Organic Free Range Chicken Thighs at the weekend in my cast iron pan. Really simple. Just add the thighs to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Pop the lid on and put in the oven on 180°C for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and let it sit in there for a further 30 mins. Simple. You’ll get a lovely chicken stock and some perfectly cooked chicken. Just pop in a dish, cover and put in the fridge. Will last 5 days and you can use it for all kinds of things.
So for my soup you will need;
- Some cooked chicken as I’ve described above. Or if you don’t have any pre cooked just get 4 Organic Chicken Thighs and I will tell you in the steps when to add them.
- 10 good sized organic carrots – peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 onion – roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic – peeled but leave whole
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 1lt of chicken stock
- Maldon Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 corn cob – just cut the corn off the cob carefully and put to one side.
- cooked brown rice and quinoa – Grab a tea mug, add 2/3rd’s brown rice and 1/3rd quinoa. Pop in a pan. Add 2 mugs of water, add salt and cover and bring to a gentle boil. Cook until all the water has gone.
- a head of broccoli – cut up into bit sized bits
- You will also need one of those stick blenders. If you don’t have one you can leave the soup chunky
If you’re going to use pre-cooked chicken like I did just go straight to the carrots, onion, garlic stage (Stage 2).
- Ok so get a large sauce pan on a medium heat. Let the pan heat up then add a good lug of olive oil and add the chicken if you are cooking it from raw. Brown this off on all sides.
- Then add the carrots, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Keep this moving round for 7-8 minutes until everything’s softened.
- Now add the chicken stock and the sprigs of thyme. Let this come to a simmer and cook for 15 mins.
- Now add the sweetcorn and cook for a further 5-6 mins.
- Once we are at this stage remove the chicken from the pan and pop on a plate.
- Now grab your stick blender and whizz up the soup.
- Now add either 4 thighs of the pre cooked chicken like I did or the chicken that you’ve just cooked. Add it now and simmer for 5-6 mins until the chicken is heated through. Give it a stir around and break apart the thighs a into bite sized bits. Add the cooked brown rice and quinoa at this stage and stir through.
- Taste and season if required. Turn off the heat and pop the lid on while we cook the broccoli
- Get the oven on 200°C. In an oven roasting dish add the broccoli and a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss around a bit then pop in the oven for 15 mins. remove from the oven and let sit for a few mins.
- Serve the soup with some of the broccoli on top and some crusty bread.
Sorted. I hope you enjoy! Really healthy, and a great post work out feed as well.
Leave a Reply