So I’m not sure this is actually Spanish style but it has chorizo in it so Its kind of Spanish.
I was in the mood to cook but wasn’t sure what I fancied so I went to the local fruit and veg shop called Galluzzo FJ & Sons. It’s a really great place. Lots of locally grown fruit and veg on offer, plus it’s always a busy and bustling place full of happy customers and enthusiastic staff.
Anyway, The leeks looked really good so a leek and potato soup popped into my head. I grabbed all the stuff and went to the amazing deli next door (also owned by the same people) I got some really great chorizo and hightailed it home. I thought leek and potato soup with chorizo might work pretty well.
So you will need;
- 3 leeks – halve, wash then slice
- 2-3 large potatoes – I used Nicola potatoes – peel and dice
- 2 cloves of garlic – smash and roughly chop
- 1 large parsnip – peel, halve then slice
- 1 brown onion – peel, halve and slice
- 2 carrots – peel halve and slice
- 1.5 lt of Chicken stock – you can either make your own, use a pre made one in a pouch or a good powdered stock.
- 250 grams of chorizo – dice or slice. It’s up to you
- 1 brown onion – halve then slice
- 6-7 small field mushrooms – slice
I also had some leftover cooked potatoes in the fridge which I made into sautéed potato croutons. Just dice the potato and fry them in a pan with olive oil, salt and pepper. Let them brown on one side then turn and brown on the other side. Don’t move them around too much or they will break apart. Once nice and golden on all sides, pop to one side on some kitchen towel.
1. ok so in a large pan add extra virgin olive oil on a medium heat then add the onions and carrots. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry off for a few mins then add the parsnip and potato. Season again and keep moving around for 5 more mins.
2 Now add the leeks, season with a touch more salt and pepper then add a few knobs of butter. Keep cooking this until the leeks have softened. Probably another 5 mins or so.
3. Now add the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 mins until the potato is cooked. Once done whizz up with a hand blender until smooth. If it’s too thick add some more stock. Taste and season if needed.
Ok so it’s great just like this. You can serve it with some bread and a few extra sautéed leeks on top and the crispy potato croutons I mentioned earlier.
To give it a little extra awesomeness do the following.
Get a frying pan nice and hot and add the chorizo. You don’t need to add any oil. Cook for a few mins until all the tasty orange chorizo oil starts to come out then add the onions. Fry off for 3-4 mins then add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 more mins then its done.
Serve the soup in a bowl with some of the chorizo, onion and mushroom mixture on top. Add the crunchy potato croutons and a little drizzle of the oil from the pan you cooked the chorizo in.
sorted. A bit of a twist on your usual leek and potato soup.