So this is a really quick and easy recipe. The Jalapeño crunchy bread things are a stroke of genius even if I do say so myself.
This should take you less than 30 mins. You will need
- 1 carrot – diced
- 1 Onion – diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – left whole
- Half a Leek – halved then sliced
- Organic Potatoes – 3-4 small potatoes peeled and diced
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock. I’ve been using a chicken stock from Massel. It’s a really great instant stock for when you don’t have time to make your own. Plus it’s vegetarian.
- 2-3 Large Bunches of Watercress
- Maldon Salt
- Black Pepper
- Sour Creme to Serve
- 1 large good heavy based sauce pan. I use a cast iron Chasseur Pan.
- Electric Hand Blender
For the Jalapeño crunch bread things you will need
- Nice fresh bread. The choice is yours
- 2 Jalapeños
- Parmesan Cheese – freshly grated
1. ok so get a pan on a medium heat. Add olive oil and then the garlic, the onions, the carrots and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and move around gently for around 10 mins. Everything should soften and you should start to get some colour forming on the base of the pan from the potatoes.
2. Once we’ve got to this stage add the stock. About 1.5 litres should be fine. Have a bit more on hand incase you need it. Let this come to a simmer then add the watercress. Stir well then let come back to the boil. Turn down to a simmer, pop the lid on and cook for about 6 minuets.
3. When you take the lid off you should get a really nice strong watercress smell. Turn off the heat and blend up with the hand blender until smooth. Taste and season accordingly. It will probably need a touch more salt and some pepper
4. Now turn on the grill. Slice the bread. Lightly toast it then add the sliced Jalapeños, sprinkle with a layer of grated parmesan and pop under the grill. Cook until golden.